Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Linaria (bird): Online bagpiping lessons via College of Piping (Glasgow) and with Lorne MacDougall, Initial technical process re recording video to my computer for free, "Since winning the Inverness Gold Medal in 1981, Jack has pretty much “kept the recorder running. ... "", How to do all of this with a brain wave head set and with recording into a realistic virtual earth (think Google Streetview/Brain) and at the cellular and atomic levels?, And with MD scrub hats on transformed MIT Media Lab-wise into brain wave headsets for neural research even while soaking in the Harbin Hot Springs warm pool?


Hi M,

Nice to be in touch with all our Pgh friends, spread around many places :) Are you going to develop further, from your most recent writing project, to write a beautiful Cuttyhunk local historic district plan into existence? :) How are you?

Hi too from Stanford Medicine Grand Rounds (a little while ago).

Re online piping lessons via CoP (Glasgow) and with Lorne MacDougall (https://www.lornemacdougall.com), I began the recording aspect of this new form of tuition (a Scots' word too) last night playing "Honey in the Bag" out on my porch just after dusk. Here's the technical process re recording video to my computer for free (after a bit of a hiatus from this), and involving some web searches:

A

Record to Youtube video? Didn't work initially. They don't do this anymore directly, but uploading a recorded video from one's own computer's web camera is possible. But the "upload" button didn't exist in the Google Chrome browser I was using (even though Youtube has a relationship with Google). In the Apple Safari browser however, the Youtube "upload" button appeared.

B

Record with Photo Booth (suggested on the web)? No video record option on my version on my computer.

C

Record with Apple Garage Band (which I had already on my computer)? - Well, a long download started (glad I had an internet connection - but I also won't need an internet connection for this initially) of songs/advertising they wanted to put on my machine (but 25 minutes later, I chose not to accept these Apple downloads, so as not to fill up my hard drive, - and also because Apple can be a bit "unfriendly" in variety of similar ways, putting selling their brand first, but still allowing for "free" use eventually). But after a long download, Garage Band would have worked for video recording from my MacBook Air laptop. (I actually recorded some of my Haiku-ish with Garage Band some years ago while in a remote wooded part of Harbin).

D

Apple Quicktime video recording and playing software? This did however work finally for video-recording, and I recorded the "Honey in the Bag" tune. I now have this file on my computer (and these recordings will fill up my hard drive pretty quickly too).

E

When I saved my Quicktime video of "Honey in the Bag" to a folder, the "Voice" folder opened, and I saved the file here, - and am inspired because of this technical "moment" to focus further on developing singing/voice in playing with my Scottish small pipes, since this is a new option given the bellows. (... and since "voice the voice is the first instrument of the orchestra" per the great Maria Callas - https://books.google.com/books?id=xtfjnr3dBVoC&pg=PA5&lpg=PA5&dq=since+%22voice+is+the+first+instrument%22&source=bl&ots=NBcjmzck1E&sig=_qKTTvkFU8vyL4BbuI3-o3D79lE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj88eyO2vrWAhUE0oMKHeCwBBYQ6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q=since%20%22voice%20is%20the%20first%20instrument%22&f=false)

F

Muse Score composing software? And so on with my own exploring composing too ... for voice ... first with Amazing Grace in 5 parts ... since it's familiar and will facilitate multi-tasking.

G

Chanters (both)/Scottish small pipes as technologies and re video recording (microphoning questions for quailty, indoors and outdoors): how to play best the tunes with the wee D chanter? How to choose the piping tunes (which Lorne has said are in 3 - 4 keys themselves, on sheet music) for the D chanter and for the A chanter when using especially the 3rd drone to create a chord with the other two drones - per each chanter?

H

Email/video mediated feedback from Lorne: This would evolve, and re the questions I have too (I've asked Lorne a lot of questions over time)

I

Lorne at technology himself:)? Lorne rocks as a great Piper, both Highland (GHB) and Small pipes - and is very smart and experienced - and responds innovatively to my questions (and this opportunity to do video lessons is an example of this - since it puts me in the driver's seat, for one ... and it will also create a body of recordings)

J

New tunes as technology? After playing and recording my current "repertory" to video - and developing them musically via recording to the place I want them to be - I'll begin to search around for more lyrical piping music (which is my thing).

L

Explore information/computing technologies further ... and even my learning re World University and School and making music learning there "rock."


... So, as part of my learning process in these new regards, I definitely was listening more for mistakes, with an ear too for some kind of "perfect" expression, detracting from letting the music "flow" and learning toward bliss generation ... oh, what video recording offers as a teacher itself ... :) (and per great piper Jack Lee who has basically had "the recorder running" for decades). "Since winning the Inverness Gold Medal in 1981, Jack has pretty much “kept the recorder running. ... site are some of the tunes with which Jack has had great success, including" (https://leeandsonsbagpipes.com/bagpipe-music-library/).

So now I could conceivably play and record 20 minutes of music a day for learning reasons, and as a new approach to practicing, and then edit together the best of this playing into a 15 minute video to share with Lorne weekly. And I would improve directly, while defining the direction I'd like to head in piping wise, and getting Lorne's regular feedback for learning purposes.

... much about learning and playing daily a musical instrument - so practicing a musical instrument ...  http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Practicing_-_Playing_a_Musical_Instrument - and here the Scottish small pipes ... http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Scottish_smallpipes_and_borderpipes .- re World University and School's wiki interactivity as well ...

Another 5 am morning tomorrow for two big events" 8am - Stanford Rock Center Silicon Valley Directors' Exchange (SVDX) ... and 9:45am - the Stanford Neuroscience Institute day long conference - including possibly meeting / hearing the new Stanford President (who wasn't there after all).

Thanks for asking about all of this on the phone the other evening (Sunday) ... and nice to talk with you.

L,
Scott

*

How to do all of this with a brain wave head set and with recording into a realistic virtual earth (think Google Streetview/Brain) and at the cellular and atomic levels?

Here's a beginning on the atomic level of neural nets https://twitter.com/eboyden3/status/919584573268389889 … and re https://twitter.com/sgkmacleod/status/919689962349400064 … pot. in G+Brain in ALL 8k langs


https://twitter.com/sgkmacleod/status/919692983439572992

*
And with MD scrub hats on, transformed MIT Media Lab-wise into brain wave headsets, for neural research even while soaking in the Harbin Hot Springs warm pool? (It would be great if medical doctors themselves, having passed physics, chemistry, statistics and other high achieving subjects, could be the people wearing these MD scrub hat brain wave headsets:).

*
See, too:
for M., N., and O ...
http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2017/10/life-playing-scottish-small-pipes-daily.html





*









...




No comments: